Councillor grants pave the way for Alton lunch club

Trips to an Alton lunch club for over 60s will be all the sweeter after grants from East Hampshire District Councillors helped pay for an improved access.

A crumbling pathway into the Vokes Lunch Club, on Normandy Street, had been causvokes-lunch-club-420_croping problems for many of its members, especially as some of the diners were well into their 80s, and not too steady on their feet.

Seven councillors from EHDC clubbed together to pay for the new £1,440 pathway. They each donated money from their Councillor Grants budget, a £4,500 pot awarded to each councillor to spend in their community.

Terry Blake, chairman of the Vokes Lunch Club, said: “We’re very grateful for the generous donation from the EHDC councillors which has enabled us to carry out much needed repairs to the pathway into the lunch club.

“It has been causing difficulty for some of our members and it is much appreciated by the trustees and the members themselves.”

Two of EHDC’s Alton councillors, Cllr Graham Hill and Cllr Andrew Joy, visited the lunch club last week to see the difference it made to their members.

Cllr Hill said: “I am delighted to have been able to give something towards this important work.

“The Vokes Lunch Club is an important part of the lives of its members, ensuring not just a delicious hot meal but also an opportunity for them to socialise with friends.”

Cllr Joy added: “The old path was clearly becoming a problem for some of the older members of the group and had to be resurfaced.

“This was a costly job and not something the club might have been able to achieve on its own and that’s why the Councillor Grants are such a valuable tool for every councillor.”

The full list of grants given by local councillors are: Cllr Edward Brandt, £220; Cllr Graham Hill, £225; Cllr Andrew Joy, £225; Cllr David Orme, £225; Cllr Dean Phillips, £220; Cllr Robert Saunders, £225; and Cllr Glynis Watts, £100.

Community groups or projects run for the benefit of the community are eligible to receive money through the Councillor Grant scheme. To apply or find out more information about the scheme contact your ward councillor or go to